INTERNSHIP APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN
Part time, 10-15 hrs/wk with some seasonal fluctuation of hours. Non-paid however college credit available Based in Portland, Oregon. Some evening work. Reports to Voz’s Development Director.
The Development Intern is part of a fundraising committee of staff, board members, day laborers and volunteers who are responsible for increasing Voz’s fundraising capacity. The Development Intern (along with the Fundraising Committee) will also be responsible for directing Voz’s holiday giving campaign through Willamette Week’s 2012 Give!Guide, expanding Voz’s donor base, and increasing Voz’s presence in under-engaged communities around the state.
- Manage, grow, and promote grassroots fundraising efforts including: Willamette Week’s 2012 Give!Guide campaign, house parties, tabling fairs, community events and seasonal outreach activities
- Contribute to the finalization of development and fundraising plans to further long term and overall vision of Voz.
- Build Voz’s donor base through strategic community outreach and networking.
- Train and engage fundraising committee members around various aspects of grassroots fundraising including but not limited to: grant writing, base building, procurement campaign management (i.e. holiday giving campaigns, major donor campaigns), social media outreach and promotion, and donor tracking.
- Support and direct staff to further develop fundraising culture. Support and direct staff for all events
- Data entry and office management as needed.
- Opportunities for grant research, writing, implementation and reporting depending on interest and qualifications.
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising and community outreach
- Experience organizing events/campaigns and working with under-engaged communities and/or day laborer communities
- Commitment to social, racial, economic and environmental justice
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage multiple project details at once and meet deadlines
- Able to work closely and effectively with people from different cultural and class backgrounds
- Proficiency in Google Docs, Adobe InDesign, and Social Media Outlets
- Spanish written/verbal proficiency preferred
- Strong public speaking skills, media interview comfort and community outreach activities
- Experience in community based activism/organizing a plus
Compensation and Benefits
This position is a part-time (10-15 hours a week) position. No medical, dental or vision benefits are provided at this time. The Development Internship position is currently unpaid though college credit can be arranged.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in this internship. Your application must be received by 5:00 pm on Friday, November 9th, 2012.
Email application (preferred) to: email@example.com Subject Line: “Development Internship Application”
Or mail application to: 1131 SE Oak Street Portland, OR 97218 Attn: Development Internship Application
Required commitment of 10-15 hours per week for 5-6 months (start and end dates will depend on the applicant’s availability and the organization’s needs).
The Volunteer Coordinator oversees the volunteer program and recruits, motivates, trains and supervises volunteers for utilization at VOZ events and programs. The volunteer coordinator will serve as the primary liaison between VOZ staff and volunteers. This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Conduct monthly volunteer orientation meetings in order to recruit new volunteers as well as increase the volunteer support base. Provide clear and concise overview of VOZ volunteer program to all volunteer applicants to ensure that accurate and up-to-date information is provided to educate volunteers and their contacts.
- Review and update volunteer application materials and guidelines.
- Interview volunteer applicants and provide follow-up as necessary
- Complete special development and volunteer projects, which require initiative, flexibility and creativity.
- Create and implement volunteer recognition opportunities, which include a Volunteer Appreciation dinner, thank you cards etc, to reinforce the importance of VOZ’s volunteers and the volunteer program.
- Maintain and update all class calendars and office volunteer calendars in the Google account.
- Create and maintain volunteer files, database and other relevant volunteer information, which include volunteer personal information, current phone numbers and areas of interest or ability. Track and record volunteer hours performed for VOZ.
- Work with VOZ staff members to recruit, schedule, and provide contact with VOZ volunteers (both allies and day laborers).
- Supervise all aspects of volunteer services.
- Support and coordinate volunteers working with our ongoing programs. This includes scheduling volunteers for our Popular Education Classes and trainings, updating our database, making personal contact with volunteers to increase participation, and organizing a monthly Volunteer Orientation.
- Assist staff with curriculum development for workshops, classes, and teach-ins. The coordinator will also facilitate the training of volunteers for those programs.
- Assist staff in providing Community Education about immigrant and day labor issues to the greater Portland area as needed. This may include attending conferences, tabling at local events, organizing canvasses or outreach events, and advertising to the community.
- While the hours are very flexible, the position requires occasional irregular hours of work, including evenings and occasional weekends, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or program.
- Maintain and protect confidential information about Voz staff, volunteers, and day laborers within the organization.
- Perform several tasks concurrently; strong time management and organizational skills.
- Manage, network and motivate staff, volunteers and day laborers.
- Organize and maintain detailed records; complete necessary paperwork and meet deadlines.
- Perform public presentations; good oral and written communication skills.
- Be self-motivated and self-disciplined; with the ability to work without supervision and direction.
Compensation and Benefits
As this is a voluntary position, no compensation will be provided.
Please send resume and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Part time, hours may be arranged with the Organizer. Intern must be available in the mornings at least once a week. Reports to the Organizer.
We seek a passionate, committed, organized and energetic intern to support our Organizer in fulfilling his job duties. The Organizer promotes participation and leadership development of day laborers, organizing assemblies, workshops, events, and meetings, in pursuit of Voz’ mission: to be a worker-led organization that empowers immigrants and day laborers to gain control over their working conditions through organizing, leadership development and community education.
- Assist in organizing and carrying out monthly assembly meetings
- workshops, events, and meetings
- Maintaining files and schedules
- Entering participation and leadership data into Voz’ database
- Strong command of Spanish
- Demonstrated interest in immigrants’ and workers’ rights.
Compensations and Benefits
The position is unpaid. The intern would gain experience in grassroots organizing and one-on-one time and training from our Organizer.
Please send resume and contact information to email@example.com
VOZ is an equal opportunity employer committed to affirmative action and accessibility. People of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply. If you need any accommodations to participate in the application process please let us know.