May Day 2009 March and Rally for immigrant and Workers’ Rights, Economic Justice for all!
South Park Blocks
1 PM – Posters and Party
4 PM – Rally (Speakers and Entertainment)
5 PM – March
May Day on You Tube:
The time is now!
As the economic crisis deepens our movements must come together in solidarity to protect our rights and build an economy that works for everyone. May Day, (also known as International Workers’ Rights Day), has a rich history going back more than a century as workers fought for and won the eight hour work-day.
Today, faced with a crumbling economic system and increasing attacks on immigrants and working people, we must join together to defend our basic rights to health and happiness. Great change has only been achieved when people have risen up to demand justice and fight for the common good. We ask you to join us on May 1st as we take to the streets to celebrate our collective power and work together to build a better world. In solidarity, we set forth our demands below, and remind you that THE PEOPLE, UNITED, WILL NEVER BE DIVIDED!
Our demands are:
- Stop the ICE Raids and End all detentions!
- Comprehensive Immigration Reform Now!
- No more bailouts for the banks and corporations!
- Tax the corporations, banks and wealthy!
- Sustainable Jobs for all!
- Stop cuts to education, social services and Tri-Met!
- Quality Health Care for all!
- Housing is a Human Right!
- Stop evictions and foreclosures!
- Protect workers’ right to organize:
- Pass the Employee Free Choice Act Now!
- Money for human needs, not war!
- Economic justice for all!