Volunteering with VOZ
Bienvenidos a Voz!
Welcome to our Volunteering and Internships page. Below is a list of our current internship and volunteer needs as well as contact information for those who want to get involved. We provide training, support, and everlasting gratefulness! Please feel free to contact our Volunteer Coordinator with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or click the ‘Volunteer’ button below to use the sign up form.Volunteer
Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot uneducate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore. We have seen the future, and the future is ours.
CURRENT INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES:
PRIMARY ROLE: We seek a passionate, committed, organized and energetic intern to support our Organizer in fulfilling his job duties. The Organizer Coordinator will help promote participation and leadership development of day laborers, organize assemblies, workshops, events, and meetings in pursuit of Voz’s mission: to be a worker-led organization that empowers immigrants and day laborers to gain control over their working conditions through organizing, leadership development and community education.
- Assist organizing and carrying out assemblies, workshops, events, meetings, and soccer practices
- Motivate day laborers to participate and lead
- Document proceedings
- Maintain files, schedules, and participation/leadership data in Voz’s database
- Strong personal interest in human rights and social justice advocacy
- Strong command of spoken and written Spanish
TIME COMMITMENT: 10-15 hours per week, at least one morning per week for 3 months
START DATE: Flexible (start and end dates will depend on the applicant’s availability and the organization’s needs)
COMPENSATION: Unpaid position but will accept inquiries for academic credit
CONTACT: Please submit cover letter and resume in English including three references to Yolanda Sandoval at email@example.com or contact the Voz Office at 503-233-6787 for more information.
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
MLK JR WORKER CENTER VOLUNTEERS
We seek passionate, committed, organized and energetic interns to support our MLK Workers’ Center staff in fulfilling the duties associated with running the center. Some of your responsibilities may include signing workers in as they arrive in the morning, running the raffle, greeting employers and helping them get them appropriate workers, answering phones, making follow up calls to employers, data entry, etc.
Applicants must be willing to commit to 10-20 hours a week for 3 months and be available to work at least two days a week between the hours of 7:00am-2:00pm, Monday-Saturday. Days and hours are flexible, so we can make it work with your schedule.
If interested please fill out the volunteer application below or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
English classes are taught at the Worker Center Monday through Saturday. Each of the classes has a particular theme and learning objective, which are reviewed and changed every four weeks. The curriculum is flexible, designed to offer both learning progress for returning students and to meet the learning needs of one-time students. Teachers don’t need to have extensive ESL experience, but some is helpful. We also hire Teacher Assistants, who aren’t responsible for planning lessons and teaching, but provide integral support in the classroom. ESL volunteers are encouraged to have some Spanish skills, though this isn’t necessary, and must be able to commit the expected time and energy to English classes (about 2 – 4 hours per week). Classes usually take place in the morning or very early afternoon. We are currently accepting applications and hiring volunteers as needed. As part of the ESL program, we also have a Drop-In Writing Lab. The Drop-In Writing Lab is a response to requests from day laborers for more reading and writing within the classroom. The Lab provides a space for day laborers to stop by and have their reading and writing needs met, from filling out job applications to deciphering signs in store windows to writing articles for the Voz newsletter. The Lab is open on a very regular basis two to three times a week for two hours in the afternoon.
ART CLASS SUPERVISORS
Art classes are held Fridays at 12pm at the MLK Jr. Worker Center. We are also hoping to expand class days to twice per week. We need volunteers to:
- help solicit donations of art supplies
- teach classes on different artistic techniques
- work with the day laborers to plan and implement art shows
COMPUTER SKILLS TRAINERS
Computer skills are an essential aspect of integrating into our society. We would like to re-start our computer skills classes. VOZ is interested in volunteers who will:
- help develop level-appropriate curriculum
- prepare daily lesson plans
- teach the classes
- help to recruit new students by advertising at the day labor center and the corners
- demonstrate good computer skills and moderate knowledge of Spanish
CULTURAL AND MOBILIZING EVENTS
VOZ sponsors many diverse cultural and mobilization events throughout the year and these could not happen without the great work done by volunteers. We typically need help with:
- creative planning for long term projects
- last minute arrangements or one-time event assistance
- mapping out the event schedule
- making and distributing fliers
- presenting educational or political information about VOZ and its mission
- buying snacks
- bringing a sound system (if necessary)
- asking the city or neighbors for permission (if necessary)
- contacting the press to attend the event (if necessary)
“EL JORNALERO” NEWSLETTER
Published several times a year, El Jornalero is an important resource for both the day laborers themselves and members of the community who are interested in becoming involved with VOZ. We need volunteers who are bilingual, have skills with Illustrator or InDesign, and are interested in the media, to help us with:
- newspaper lay-out and design
- selecting and scanning photos
- collecting or writing articles
- compiling the newsletter
- getting it published and distributed
Grant writing is essential to any non-profit organization. As a member of this group, volunteers will:
- help us look for possible foundations or organizations that would complement our goals
- explain our work to those groups and write Agreement Proposals for each foundation
- possibly writing reports, attend training workshops about grant writing, do follow-up work with the foundations
TRANSLATION and INTERPRETATION
While most of this work centers on El Jornalero newspaper, we also translate educational material and community outreach information. If you are bilingual and interested in volunteering on your own schedule, from your own home or the VOZ office, please contact us.
WAGE CLAIMS and LEGAL ACTION COMMITTEE
An important sector of VOZ’s work, volunteering with the Wage Claims group will bring visible benefits to the Day Labor community. Tasks may include
- collecting information from the employer and investigating (if necessary)
- calling the employer to ask him/her why they have not paid
- securing a time and place for them to pay the day laborer
- accompanying the day laborer and speaking with the employer
- writing letters to employers about wage losses
- filling out the VOZ and BOLI forms
- going with the day laborer to Court (if necessary)
- seeing the case through to the end
- teaching the day laborer how to use the booklet.
General office help is always greatly needed. In fact, after one month of outstanding volunteer work with VOZ we require that all of our volunteers put in at least an hour of office work. These tasks can include: photocopying, data entry, and organizational tasks. This work is important both at the VOZ office and at the Day Labor Center, so chose your location and we will help you get started.
ELECTIONS ORGANIZATION (BILINGUAL)
MONTHLY ASSEMBLY LOGISTICS (BILINGUAL)
If you have additional talents you can bring to VOZ, let us know! To set up a time to come in and help with any of the above, please fill out our online application form and we will contact you. You may also email email@example.com. Thank you. We appreciate your support!