¡Bienvenidos a Voz!
Welcome to our Volunteering and Internships page. Below is a list of our current internship and volunteer needs as well as contact information for those who want to get involved. We provide training, support, and everlasting gratefulness! Please feel free to contact our Volunteer Coordinator with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot uneducate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore. We have seen the future, and the future is ours.”
CURRENT INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES:
Executive Assistant Intern
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
PURPOSE/ROLE OF POSITION: Assist the Executive Director with day-to-day activities. Provide support for current projects and campaigns. Facilitate the efficiency, order and harmony of the office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- · Organize and distribute Executive Director’s written and electronic communications.
- · Maintain records of checks and cash; submit reports to the Bookkeeper.
- · Write letters, reports and other documents as needed; conduct related research.
- · Database entry and management.
- · Coordinate Executive Director’s activities with Voz staff.
- · Help arrange monthly meetings with the Executive Committee: prepare meeting agenda, send reminders, make phone calls.
- · Provide administrative support for current projects and campaigns.
- · Strong personal interest in human rights and social justice advocacy.
- · Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- · Excellent time management, organizational, and computer skills.
- · Ability to work independently, and to work collaboratively with Voz staff.
COMPENSATION: Unpaid position, will accept inquiries for academic credit.
TIME COMMITMENT: 5-6 months. 8-12 hours per week, in the office 2-3 day/week.
START DATE: Flexible (will depend on the applicant’s availability, organization’s needs).
POSITION: Marketing intern
SUPERVISOR: Martketing Director
PRIMARY ROLE: Voz is currently looking for a Marketing Intern. The intern will assist the Marketing Director with promotion and marketing outreach.
- Form relationships with local media outlets (including social media) in order to perform community outreach and recruit work for the MLK Jr. Workers’ Center
- Build relationships with local organizations in order to connect with employers and volunteers for the Center
- Organize aspects of the Voz weekly flyering events with day laborers,including creating routes, organizing transport, and managing flyer distribution
- Create materials geared to different potential employers (homeowners,contractors, etc) of day laborers
START DATE: Flexible (start and end dates will depend on the applicant’s availability and the organization’s needs)
COMPENSATION: Unpaid position but will accept inquiries for academic credit
CONTACT: Please submit cover letter and resume in English including three references to Francisco Aguiree at email@example.com or contact the Voz Office at 503-233-6787 for more information.
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
MLK JR WORKER CENTER VOLUNTEERS
We seek passionate, committed, organized and energetic interns to support our MLK Workers’ Center staff in fulfilling the duties associated with running the center. Some of your responsibilities may include signing workers in as they arrive in the morning, running the raffle, greeting employers and helping them get them appropriate workers, answering phones, making follow up calls to employers, data entry, etc.
Applicants must be willing to commit to 10-20 hours a week for 3 months and be available to work at least two days a week between the hours of 7:00am-2:00pm, Monday-Saturday. Days and hours are flexible, so we can make it work with your schedule.
If interested please fill out the volunteer application below or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
English classes are taught at the Worker Center Monday through Saturday. Each of the classes has a particular theme and learning objective, which are reviewed and changed every four weeks. The curriculum is flexible, designed to offer both learning progress for returning students and to meet the learning needs of one-time students. Teachers don’t need to have extensive ESL experience, but some is helpful. We also hire Teacher Assistants, who aren’t responsible for planning lessons and teaching, but provide integral support in the classroom. ESL volunteers are encouraged to have some Spanish skills, though this isn’t necessary, and must be able to commit the expected time and energy to English classes (about 2 – 4 hours per week). Classes usually take place in the morning or very early afternoon. We are currently accepting applications and hiring volunteers as needed. As part of the ESL program, we also have a Drop-In Writing Lab. The Drop-In Writing Lab is a response to requests from day laborers for more reading and writing within the classroom. The Lab provides a space for day laborers to stop by and have their reading and writing needs met, from filling out job applications to deciphering signs in store windows to writing articles for the Voz newsletter. The Lab is open on a very regular basis two to three times a week for two hours in the afternoon. At this moment we do not need anymore volunteers for teaching ESL.
ART CLASS SUPERVISORS
Art classes are held Fridays at 12pm at the MLK Jr. Worker Center. We are also hoping to expand class days to twice per week. We need volunteers to:
- help solicit donations of art supplies
- teach classes on different artistic techniques
- work with the day laborers to plan and implement art shows
COMPUTER SKILLS TRAINERS
Computer skills are an essential aspect of integrating into our society. We would like to re-start our computer skills classes. VOZ is interested in volunteers who will:
- help develop level-appropriate curriculum
- prepare daily lesson plans
- teach the classes
- help to recruit new students by advertising at the day labor center and the corners
- demonstrate good computer skills and moderate knowledge of Spanish
CULTURAL AND MOBILIZING EVENTS
VOZ sponsors many diverse cultural and mobilization events throughout the year and these could not happen without the great work done by volunteers. We typically need help with:
- creative planning for long term projects
- last minute arrangements or one-time event assistance
- mapping out the event schedule
- making and distributing fliers
- presenting educational or political information about VOZ and its mission
- buying snacks
- bringing a sound system (if necessary)
- asking the city or neighbors for permission (if necessary)
- contacting the press to attend the event (if necessary)
“EL JORNALERO” NEWSLETTER
Published several times a year, El Jornalero is an important resource for both the day laborers themselves and members of the community who are interested in becoming involved with VOZ. We need volunteers who are bilingual, have skills with Illustrator or InDesign, and are interested in the media, to help us with:
- newspaper lay-out and design
- selecting and scanning photos
- collecting or writing articles
- compiling the newsletter
- getting it published and distributed
The day laborers have a soccer team! Practices are currently from 5:00pm to 7:00pm on Tuesday and Thursday nights at Fernhill Park on NE 42nd & Killingsworth. Volunteers with this group would help:
- organize team trainings and games
- coordinate meetings with other teams
- look for more teams with whom the VOZ team can play against or practice with
- organize fields for all these activities
- make ready the uniforms, water, snacks and medicine for games
- make and distribute fliers for soccer events
Grant writing is essential to any non-profit organization. As a member of this group, volunteers will:
- help us look for possible foundations or organizations that would complement our goals
- explain our work to those groups and write Agreement Proposals for each foundation
- possibly writing reports, attend training workshops about grant writing, do follow-up work with the foundations
TRANSLATION and INTERPRETATION
While most of this work centers on El Jornalero newspaper, we also translate educational material and community outreach information. We need someone who can attend a monthly assembly of the day laborers and take notes and translate what is said in the meeting into English. If you are bilingual and interested in volunteering on your own schedule, from your own home or the VOZ office, please contact us.
WAGE CLAIMS and LEGAL ACTION COMMITTEE
An important sector of VOZ’s work, volunteering with the Wage Claims group will bring visible benefits to the Day Labor community. Tasks may include
- collecting information from the employer and investigating (if necessary)
- calling the employer to ask him/her why they have not paid
- securing a time and place for them to pay the day laborer
- accompanying the day laborer and speaking with the employer
- writing letters to employers about wage losses
- filling out the VOZ and BOLI forms
- going with the day laborer to Court (if necessary)
- seeing the case through to the end
- teaching the day laborer how to use the booklet.
General office help is always greatly needed. In fact, after one month of outstanding volunteer work with VOZ we require that all of our volunteers put in at least an hour of office work. These tasks can include: photocopying, data entry, and organizational tasks. This work is important both at the VOZ office and at the Day Labor Center, so chose your location and we will help you get started.
ELECTIONS ORGANIZATION (BILINGUAL)
CULTURAL COMPETENCY PLAN COORDINATOR (BILINGUAL)
MONTHLY ASSEMBLY LOGISTICS and Translation (BILINGUAL)
We need people who have cars and driver’s licenses who are willing to help drive day laborers around to neighborhoods and businesses to do marketing for the Worker Center. Please contact Francisco@portlandvoz.org for more information.
If you have additional talents you can bring to VOZ, let us know! To set up a time to come in and help with any of the above, please fill out our online application form and we will contact you. You may also email email@example.com. Thank you. We appreciate your support!